Friday, December 2, 2011

On the Road to Self-Sufficiency

After talking with a friend a couple of days ago...I got a real kick in the pants. Listening to her and discovering all she has been doing these past months to feed her family healthfully, I was saddened to think how much I have let it slip lately. So in that vein, I will again start blogging about what I am trying to accomplish.

Here's a couple of good resources for food preservation to start off with;

Putting Food By, by Janet C. Greene
Stocking Up III, edited by Carol Hupping, Rodale Press
Making the Best of Basics, by James Talmadge Stevens

If you are interested in setting up a long term food storage plan, there are some good computer programs available to help you determine how much to set by. Also do a google search for long term food storage. You'll be surprised at how many sites you will find.

All these sources can help to filling and organizing your pantry shelves so you can become more self-sufficient.
Next up; dehydrating foods

2 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Bubbette, how energetic are you ?~! I am so lazy that the thought of putting stuff in jars for later consumption doesn't even stir me. Yikes, I will be one of the first when the food chain collapses. You can eat Me.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

PS-love the new layout design and color scheme.

Little old me...

My photo
Canada
An american yankee up past the 49th parellel.

Followers

Blog Archive