Sunday, June 5, 2011

Taking a Time Out

Yesterday I realized how exhausted I was from the intensive two weeks spent gardening. I decided I was going to do nothing in it at all. GASP!

How could I think such a thought, let alone do such a thing? By looking around the house and realizing how dirty, cluttered, messy and unkempt it looked. There was lots to be done. From pruning the houseplants to cleaning dog smudges off the front window where Gracie sits looking out at the world.

For most all of yesterday it was a house cleaning type of day. Laundry, dusting, hoovering, cobweb removal, window cleaning (those smudges), bathroom scrubbing, wall wiping, sweeping and mopping. And, pruning of the houseplants.

I did get a few minutes in to do something with all the rhubarb I have been harvesting as you can see below.


Rhubarb and strawberry pudding cake.
Gourmet April 2007

Ingredients:
1/4 cup of water
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/3 cup plus
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb stalks (10 ounces) (doubled amount)
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries (5 ounces) (doubled amount)
1 cup all-purpose flour (I used 2/3 cup flour and 1/3 cup cornmeal)
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup whole milk
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preparation

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F. Butter an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish.

Stir together water, cornstarch, and 1/3 cup sugar in a small saucepan, then stir in rhubarb. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, then simmer, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in strawberries. (NOTE: Because I doubled the amount of fruit I used, I doubled this part of the recipe ie water, cornstarch and sugar mixture.)

Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl.

Whisk together egg, milk, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl, then whisk in flour mixture until just combined.

Reserve 1/2 cup fruit mixture, then add remainder to baking dish and pour batter over it, spreading evenly. Drizzle reserved 1/2 cup fruit mixture over batter. Bake until a wooden pick inserted into center of cake portion comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 5 minutes before serving.

It's a hit in our household.


1 comment:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Words seem so futile when I try to thank you for being my sister and helping me thru these rough hours. So I’ll drool a bit over the baking dish with handles and patiently await the peas. Thank DH for letting me tie you up for over an hour this morning; I needed you and you were there.

I love you, Cita.

Little old me...

My photo
Canada
An american yankee up past the 49th parellel.

Followers

Blog Archive