Tuesday, April 5, 2011

All About April


Oh, how fresh the wind is blowing!
See! The sky is bright an clear,
Oh, how green the grass is growing!
April! April! Are you here?

—Dora R. Goodale (1866-1953)


The Latin word aperio, meaning "to open or bud," gives us the name April. Spring festivals around the world often fall in this month, from Easter to Passover to our own Arbor Day.


Folklore for the Season

April showers bring May flowers.

When April blows his horn, It's good for both the hay and corn.

If the first three days in April be foggy, rain in June will make the lanes boggy.

A cold April the barn will fill.

2 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

I just love the quotations and facts you present us with--every opportunity for me to learn something is a great opening to stuff more into the gray matter. Your blog provides me with many new ones each month, thanks, Cita.

Phiddy said...

You are very welcome my friend.

Little old me...

My photo
Canada
An american yankee up past the 49th parellel.

Followers

Blog Archive