Sunday, February 20, 2011

Happy Cold ass Sunday

I can't believe the difference 24 hours can make on the outside weather and how I view it and respond to it. Two days ago it was almost but, not quite shorts and tee shirt weather. Here this morning I awoke to a -15 C with a wind chill factor of - 21!

I know, I know... it's still February. And, I still live in Ontario, Canada. Canada for god's sake is way the heck above the 24th parallel latitude of Key West, Fl. I am closer to the 44th parallel of Kingston, ON, and man oh man, the difference in temperatures variations between these two places is EXTREME. And, yes, I am shouting about it. AGH!

I guess you could say I have cabin fever. Definition of cabin fever (I like the term HYSTERIA in this one): A type of hysteria brought on by spending too much time indoors in small cramped quarters. During the cold winter months as temps drop, daylight hours are shortened considerably. Add to the fact the shortage of sun light, caused by an increase in mostly cloudy days and there you got it..... the perfect ingredients for a chronic case of Cabin Fever. I right now am prone to this as the last months of winter linger on and I am in hostile despair, as the winter goes on and on and on.

Even though the best Cabin Fever cure is for me to stay busy, this could add to my "fever". Instead I could kick back, listen to the river and watch the deer amble by. Not! I don't have a river close by and if the deer were ambling by they would at this time of the year be gnawing on my garden's fruit tree trunks and tender limbs cause they are hungry.

Or better yet, I could be imagining my body basking in the warm seductive sunlight, hair fluttering in a warm breeze and my toes nestled in the white sand of the Caribbean. (Key West, maybe?) Or, crank up some vintage Buffett, wiggle into my flipflops and mix a margarita--a sure way to cure a Cabin Fever Daze.

I guess what I am saying is; remember to celebrate, love and laugh. Mine and your fling with spring is just around the corner.

1 comment:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Daffodils in two of my immediate nieghbors’ yards convince me that spring is coming altho snow on the Twin Peaks block in San Francisco had me wondering where on earth I had been transplanted. I, too, miss the 24th Parallel’s beaches, water spouts, sand bars and dress code.

¿Spring Break on Big Pine Key?

Little old me...

My photo
Canada
An american yankee up past the 49th parellel.

Followers

Blog Archive