Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sunflowers and Rainbows





I planned this year's garden to include sunflowers. I was pleasantly surprised when after planting my sunflowers to find numerous volunteer sunflowers popping up all over the yard. One of the good side effects to feeding the winged wild population. They carry the seeds every where in the yard and drop them.

You see.... I wanted to attract bees to the garden and also participate in the bee counting done by http://www.greatsunflower.org/. They are tracking the decrease in population of the bee colonies by getting people to plant sunflowers and then doing a count of the number (and types) of bees which visit the sunflowers in a set amount of time during the summer.

I can't say enough good things about them. It's a wonderful organization run by some really terrific people doing some really incredible work. You should really check it out. And, for those of you who have kids.... keep this in mind for next year. They even will send you the seeds for the sunflowers. (Did I say free seeds? Yup that's right, free!) This is my second year of contributing by counting. And, I will continue to do so for as long as I am able. We need our bees!

Onto rainbows.

We finally got our much needed rain yesterday. Funny thing, it all fell within less than an 1/2 hour. The deluge with strong forceful winds and very loud thunder boomers filled our empty rain barrels in quick time. Wonderful! Then was followed by some very beautiful rainbows. Here are a couple of pictures taken by DH (who by the way is the son of a great photographer).

No comments:

Little old me...

My photo
Canada
An american yankee up past the 49th parellel.

Followers

Blog Archive